Moringa and its Health Benefits
Scientific Name: Moringa oleifera
Nepali Name : Seetal Chini
Common Name: Drumstick tea/Horseradish tree
Moringa oleifera; also spoken as tree of life or miracle tea is a plant that has been praised for its health benefits for thousands of years. It is a fast-growing, deciduous, drought resistant tree of the family Moringaceae. It has got abundant medicinal properties. The bark, sap roots, leaves, seeds and flowers are used in traditional medicine.
The leaves are the most nutritious part of the plant, being a significant source of vitamin B, vitamin C, Provitamin A, vitamin K, Calcium, Manganese and protein.
Amazing Health Benefits of Moringa
- The strong antioxidant property of moringa, helps to boost immune system and keeps us safe from the infections.
- Can help our body heal and develop muscle.
- Moringa can lower the level of blood sugar ;thus treats diabetes.
- Lowers the cholesterol level and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Has anti- inflammatory properties also.
- Moringa protects us against arsenic toxicity i.e. reduces the risk of cancer.
- Leaf powder effective as soap for handwashing; has anti-septic and detergent properties.
- Antifungal , antibacterial and antiviral in nature.
- A great remedy for Rheumatoid Arthritis (Relieve joint pains).
- Reduces dementia and improve memory retention.
- Reduces fat. The dried leaves are boiled in water for few minutes to make moringa tea.
- Promotes beautiful skin, nourishes hair; thus fights anti-aging.
- Anti-ulcer, Useful in treating stomach complaints (reduces chronic constipation problems).
- Regular Consumption may help in vision improvement.
- Treats kidneystones, urinary disorders, edema and many more.
Side Effects of Moringa
- In some cases, increased consumption may lower the blood pressure, slow the heart rate because of the alkaloids presents in the bark.
- It is best to avoid moringa if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Interference with the fertility (if overdose).
Because of its unique properties, Moringa helps to combat different ailments in our system.