Nepali Jaato(जाँतो): A Traditional Agri Tool
Jaato(जाँतो) is a type of rotary hand quern or grinder in Himalayan and hilly region of Nepal. It is a traditional tool to grind grains. It consist of two round stones (disc) of which the bottom part is attached to the ground or the floor in the house. This attached disc or lower disc is immovable and has a big nail or piece of wood in the center to keep the top stone in place while grinding. The top part has two holes in it one in the middle to insert grains and the other on the side to place a wooden handle (Haato) for grinding. The grains are ground using a circular motion with the help of the handle and the person has to be sitting down to do the task .
Advantage/scientific reason to use Jaato
- Easy to use.
- Efficient flow of ground grains.
- Reduce the force needed to grind.
Disadvantage of Jaato
- Continuous use of Jaato causes pain in palm .
- Not suitable for children.
- It is immovable and bulky.
In our place it is found in two type:
- Big for fin grinding or flour making especially for selroti which is immovable.
- Small one which is light and use for rough grinding like pulses and it is both movable and immovable.